Why study this course?
This GCSE in Design and Technology will enable students to develop their knowledge and understanding of design, engineering and scientific principles in an enjoyable and practical way.
Studying this course will encourage you to generate good ideas, develop practical skills, work well in a team and apply your knowledge in a range of practical and written contexts.
What will I learn?
- A range of design and manufacturing skills.
- An understanding of how to make informed decisions.
- How to manufacture with accuracy and how to choose the correct material for a job by considering its properties and environmental impacts.
- How to reflect upon your own ideas so that you can improve them.
- How to apply your knowledge and experience in new contexts.
How will I be assessed?
Unit 1: 50% – Design Portfolio
An extended designing and making task which allows you to independently research, design, develop, test and manufacture your ideas.
Unit 2: 50% – Design and Technology Exam
Students will be examined on their knowledge of materials, components, manufacturing processes and design principles. They will be expected to apply their knowledge to a range of contexts and in doing so demonstrate their ability to design products with the environment and user in mind.
Where can this course lead to after Key Stage 4?
The joy of this qualification is that it can prepare students for a range of pathways post-GCSE. Technical, design based and scientific A-Levels, level 3 qualifications and apprenticeships are all appropriate routes following the course.
Some possible routes following this course:
- Product Design A-Level
- Fashion Design
- Apprenticeships in the design, manufacturing and engineering sectors.
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical or Automotive Engineering
This qualification will teach pupils to creatively solve problems, work accurately with their hands, evaluate their performance and take a range of ideas and apply them in appropriate ways. It is an ideal foundation for degree level education.
To find out more information contact: