We have recently adopted the Accelerated Reader programme at Wreake Valley Academy as part of our plan to maximize students’ enjoyment of reading. Here is the link for Accelerated Reader
What is Accelerated Reader?
AR is a programme used to motivate students to increase their reading and vocabulary comprehension and guide them to independent reading. AR is a popular reading programme used in thousands of schools. There is a proven link between strong reading skills and academic success – great readers make great learners!
With the AR Online programme, children will not only be able to quiz on the books available through our school library and in our classrooms, but also books at home, in any library and in any book store. You can check whether a book is on the AR programme by visiting www.arbookfind.co.uk or by downloading the AR Bookfinder app.
How does AR work?
- Each child in key stage 3 has taken a comprehension test and been assigned a colour level based on the result of their test (the test will give a reading age and a ZPD score, which tells us the best colour level to challenge and support each child).
- Students then choose an AR book based on their interest and reading level. They are able to order a book via WVA’s online library listing and then Mrs Patel, the school’s librarian will deliver the book to each child in person.
- When they have finished reading the book, they take the AR test on the AR website to assess comprehension. This will be done at school during guided reading time. Book quizzes can also be taken at home by logging into the AR website via this link : https://ukhosted26.renlearn.co.uk/2242548
- The child earns points (based on how many words they have read) for showing an understanding of what they have read. They earn full points by answering all test questions correctly. (Children who average at least an 80% on tests taken are considered to understand what they read at an average level.)
How can I help my child?
- Promote reading at home: encourage them to read; read to them, let them see you reading and encourage them to carry their book wherever they go – so they are always ready to read!
- Ask about the current book they are reading and their point goals. Congratulate them when they reach their goal.
To log in click on the ‘guest’ button and select ‘Single Sign On (SSO)’
If you have problems logging on please email: firstname.lastname@example.org